One of the most important thing that people regularly fail to do to have any kind of success on the PMP certification exam is to get access to and take as many PMP practice exam as possible. It is extremely important that you take practice exam so that you can get familiar with the test and understand the kind of questions that they will ask you.
Studying the subject matter is just one step in the overall process. You need to take practice exam to do well on the PMP. It will also let you see what the PMP focuses on, the way they ask their questions, the test format, and force you to apply your working knowledge under real life test conditions.
When you take the practice exams, make sure to do it under real life test conditions. Don’t just take it without any time clock. Do it under the same time limitation as those imposed on the real test. It will also force you to get use to the speed that you have to answer the questions which will help you tremendously on the real test.
You can only take the PMP certification exam three times within a one year period. That means that it is very important that you pass the exam and get your certification on the first try. However, studies have shown that less than fifty percent (50%) of those taking the PMP certification test pass it on their first try.
The low passage rate is the result of a combination of factors but the most common ones are the fact that most first timers fail to properly prepare for the exam, they don’t put in enough time to study for it, they apply what they have learned through life long experience and answer questions based on those experiences instead of what the test materials says, and they fail to read the questions and answers carefully before they pick an answer.
The test makers of the PMP use questions with words like, “all”, “most”, “none”. “some”, “not”, “least” or “except” to confuse you. So if you do not read the questions carefully, you can pick an answer too quickly and get it incorrectly.
As earlier eluded to, you need to read the PMBOK and study it because the test questions are based off of what is written in the PMBOK.
Here is an example of a question that has appeared on the PMP certification exam test. Just bear in mind that not all the questions are in this format. To get a better idea of the type of questions are on the exam, we recommend that you take a prep test to familiarize yourself to the questions.
- A company has to make a choice between 2 projects due to limited money and resources to do both project at the same time. Each project will take nine months and would cost $250,000.00
- The first project is a process optimization which would result in a cost reduction of $120k a year. This benefit would be achieved immediately after the end of the project.
- The second project would be the development of a new product which could produce the following net profits after the end of the project:
Year 1: $15k
Year 2: $125k
Year 3: $220k
Assumed is a discount rate of five percent a year. Looking at the present values of the benefits of these projects in the first three years, what is true:
A. Both projects are equally attractive
B. The first project is more attractive by @ 7%
C. The second project is more attractive by @ 5%
D. The first project is more attractive by @ 3%
“Increasing complexity” is the way to describe the projects of most companies today, thus making many project managers to always face tough challenges. If you are heading a project or leading a team, you will know that it is important to always complete your project and its tasks, strictly following norms and managing resources efficiently. To be successful as a project manager, you need to have clearly-defined goals, and be more insightful and analytical. A good way of being able to do this is to become PMP certified. This will help you in applying best practices in project management – a prerequisite for becoming a better project manager.
Getting PMP Certified
If you want project manager certification you can get it easily if you meet all the criteria. If you want to know how to get PMP certified, there are these steps you can take to obtain certification.
- To begin you have to meet the basic requirements to be eligible; which is 4,500 hours of time doing project management. This has to be in a leadership role or directive position.
- You also need thirty five hours of class work or education. These classes can be taken online or in an actual classroom.
- Now you can go online to learn how to get PMP certified.
- The first thing you need to do to start the process of obtaining certification is to create an account in your name.
- With this process you have to enter personal information, mailing and business information as well.
- At this time you will create a username and password and it is imperative that you remember this information for future use. You need to put this information somewhere that you will remember because you will need it the day of your exam.
- Now it is time to apply for PMP credentials online. Just complete the online application thoroughly and completely. It is important to fill in all the spaces and do not leave questions unanswered. When you have finished you will receive an exam schedule.
- There should be a testing center near you and you will have a variety of options when choosing a center. It is smart to choose the center nearest to you if they meet your needs.
- Now you need to reserve your date. If you do not reserve your date then you will not be able to take your exam.
- On the day of the test you will arrive and take a computer administered test. You will probably not receive your score that day but will be notified that you failed or passed as soon as the information is available.
It is easy to find out how to get PMP certified and you can do so if you can verify that you have met all the criteria. Project manager certification can help you get a better paying job and put you on the road to success quickly. There are many positions available for this type of work and the pay is very good. You can get the job you have always wanted with PMP certification.
Assuming you have already taken the necessary course work and obtained the necessary hours to take your PMP exam to get your PMP certification, the cost to take the PMP exam are as follows:
It should be noted that those with a PMI Membership get a discount but you don’t need to be PMI member to take the exam. One of the benefits of being a PMI member is that you can take the necessary courses to quality for the exam through the PMI (we will talk more about this at a later date).
- Paper Based Testing for non members is $400.00
- Paper Based Testing for members is $250.00
- Computer Based Testing for members is $405.00
- Computer Based Testing for non members is $405.00
The annual cost of a PMI membership for an individual is $129.00 a year. It is recommend that you get a PMI membership because once you get a PMP Certification there are continuing education requirements that you have to maintain and being a member gives you availability to these courses.
With the globalization of all industries and business, the business world is getting more and more competitive. To survive and to ensure that you stay competitive, you need to keep learning new things. Working hard is no longer enough. It is now necessary to set yourself from the rest of the pack.
One way to do this is to take the necessary courses and take the PMP exam to earn the PMP certificate. The PMP Certification lets potential employers as well as current employer know that you have been credential as a project manager based on global standards. This lets potential employers know that you have the necessary skills to work on certain projects.
It is very important to have the PMP Certificate because it demonstrates that you have the experience, knowledge, education, and competency to successfully lead and direct projects.
Being PMP Certified will also help you obtain a level of compensation as it clearly demonstrate a higher level of expertise.
Welcome to PMP Certification! We are a blog designed to help those looking to get their PMP Certification on how to prepared for and pass the exam.